Friday, August 05, 2005

I did a good deed!

Actually, I did that good deed about 2 hours before I fell into the drain. The fall simply erased whatever satisfaction and good feelings I had after I helped a lady (eh, actually auntie, but I'm no longer that young ah, so lady sounds better) carry a can of paint. but then the feeling of resentment and anger towards the drain subsided, and surprisingly, I still feel good about helping her, so i'm going to talk about it.

i went shopping about two/three days ago. Went to buy plaster, scraper, paint, paint roller, paint brush, ladder, and two ceiling lights. had to visit three shops to get all i needed. along the way, while i was in the paint shop, there was this auntie that bought two cans of paint. she also had a lot of other stuff (brushes i presume) in another plastic bag. she seemed to be struggling with the paint. the shopkeeper, also an auntie, obviously wanted to help, but she had to look after her shop. so i offered to help her carry the can of paint to the taxi stand.

*** out of point warning ***

that reminds me of an incident, about two years ago when I was in London, I witnessed a mother with a baby cart, trying to get into her home. there's a flight of stairs before the main door. I said "Can I help?", intending to hold the door open for her while she carts her baby in. She eyed me suspiciously and didn't answer me. So I thought it would better if I left her alone... i guess i didn't look decent?

***

so they say people who do good things usually have good things going for them. but wtf? i fell into a drain!

perhaps if i didn't do that good deed something else would have happened? whoa...

and that brings me to.... another point. unprovable (and hence cannot be proven to be untrue, and hence can only be debated, but not dismissed) theories..

  • "God only helps those who helps themselves." Brilliant quote. The person who first said that deserves to win a Noble prize. Unprovable because you never know if God did help the people, since they obviously helped themselves.

  • TauSuan Theory. Read about it there for more information. Its unprovable because you will never know if there are indeed admirers that you don't know about.

  • Retribution theory. "Hao ren you hao bao" (good men have good rewards?) or something like that. Again, unprovable.

There are obviously many other theories that are unprovable, and perhaps most of them are related to religion and superstition. this is obviously not an exhaustive list of them.

My point is that if you believe in any of them, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't believe in the others. of course, there's also no reason why you should believe in them.

I'm talking in riddles huh?

3 comments:

Ang Ku Kueh said...

wah lau....hao ren you hao bao...is actually proven wrong wat! u fell into drain leh....

Wallace said...

but who knows, maybe if i didn't help the auntie, i might have been at the coffeeshop earlier, then i might have finished eating by the time the police came. and being heavier, sleepier, and clumsier, i might have broken my foot instead of just a sprain!

luen said...

wah, so gentlemanly *swoon*... so humble too *swoon*... heehee :) I also just watched this movie on dvd last nite called Happenstance (I know, wtf is that supposed to mean?) which was a whole movie on how small unconscious actions by many different people actually resulted in the male and female lead being brought together in a "chance" encounter. The moral of the story is that nothing happens because of "chance", but it's the culmination of many little actions. Or something like that. So maybe your act of falling into the drain ended up bringing together two people! Aww, now if you put that into perspective, that ain't so bad right? :P