Monday, May 15, 2006

Ba1-Shi2

Ba1 shi2 means eighty in Mandarin. its also a very complicated bridge-like game.

You know how people like to modify games when it gets too boring? well, i think bridge has the most modifications... lets see, besides the normal fixed partner bridge, there's floating partner bridge, german bridge, spades, and now bashi...

its damn complicated. i will not be able to note down all the rules here. like bridge, there are 4 players, 4 suits, and the same kind of trumping process. but thats where the similarity ends. Besides playing with 2 sets of cards instead of 1, there's a trump number (that changes almost every round) in addition to the trump suit, there're jokers, and you can play more than one card at a time. further, you don't just try to win sets, you neet to win "points", and points are just 5s, 10s and Ks.

thats just the gist of it. of course there's more to it, including the number of points you need to "shang4 tai2" (climb onto the platform)... it took me 15 minutes of listening and two/three rounds before i could manage to play it - but even then I was still very blur and inexperienced and caused my partner to lose a few times...

anyway, i played with a bunch of friends from 6pm. and the game wasn't completed until 11pm. and we didn't have dinner. so i'm starving right now.

but its very fun. i don't mind spending my sundays playing cards...

1 comment:

Wallace said...

ehh? wow I never expected anyone to be interested. Its super hard to explain by writing, and I tried looking it up on the net, but couldn't find anything... I'll try to write a fuller version in my next post, but I think the best way to learn is to play it with somebody who knows..