Friday, January 20, 2006

Woman in Black

Jan 3

I went to work on Tuesday. I should have just taken leave on that day also la, but I was worried my boss might not be very happy to let me go. Anyway, I didn't do much at work, because it was just after a long break, plus I will be going off the next day.

Left work early at about 6pm and met L and her bro and her bro's friend to watch the play Woman in Black.

There were two things that surprised me:
1. The theatre was really small. Wasn't expecting something so small for a play that's quite popular.

2. There are only 2 actors in the play. That's it! This is the really amazing part, because all the other musicals/shows I've been to has like a whole cast of actors, (well, arguably 2 is a cast too hor - but i mean like there are at least 10 actors/actresses), not including the sound fx guys / band, the conductor, the helpers to clear the stage etc...

This play hor, besides the 2 actors, there was a woman (in black) who did nothing except to appear at the appropriate moment. There's probably one sound fx guy. and probably one guy to close the curtains at the interval. thats it! the whole set is already on the stage - and though the story progresses through different time periods at different places, the set can be reused again and again. damn amazing.

the actors were very good too. Just between the two of them, they played like 6-8 different characters. damn amazing.

I was also impressed that they managed to make the play scary. I mean, how scary can a play get right? obviously the woman in black is just an actress on the stage... but clever lighting and sound, good timing and most importantly the actor's emotions immerses you into the story such that you do feel scared. well, maybe i'm exaggerating a little, but its quite an impressive performance.

***

Ok, its time for my dinner.. just to end off the story, after the play we went to a restaurant at chinatown called "1997" and had "juk" or "zhou" or porridge/congee (whats the difference?) NICE.

ok gtg..

1 comment:

= Christine = said...

The play sound pretty good. How I wish I'm in London now....