Monday, November 28, 2005

How was your weekend?

I usually get this question on Mondays. *bleah*.. monday is the most hated day of my week.

And I also don't know how to answer. I hate open ended questions. I've been cultivated, from young, when my parents ask me "How are you?" I'll always answer "I'm fine". I don't know how else to answer.

So when people ask me "How was your weekend?" I usually say "oh, its fine". haha. stupid hor?

Sometimes I try to add a bit of stuff in like "oh, it was great! I slept a lot!". and the other person would laugh. Very funny meh?

I also dunno how else I spend my weekend... mostly sleeping, lazing around, watching DVDs/CDs, eating, surfing internet etc...

And that brings me back to the "How're you?" greeting that pple (usually Americans, or so I found) like to use. Its not really a question like "How are you?" you know, its used more like "Good morning/afternoon" (depending on time of day) or like "Hey ya". I always found it weird when I hear people go like this:

"Hey how're you?"

"How're you? I'd like a soda with fries please."

Ah DUH? If I was greeted it'll probably be:

"Hey how're you?"

"I'm fine, thank you. I'd like a soda with fries please."

Ok, now, that might be viewed as being not very nice, because I didn't ask the other person "how're you". But at least I'm not ignoring the question right?? Right??

Sigh, pple, next time please use good morning/afternoon or something like that instead of asking "how're you" when you have no intention whatsoever about learning how's the person doing 'kay?

3 comments:

luen said...

haha, i share your sentiments... but i think "how're you" is still alright, because you can still answer with a "Fine, thanks. How're you?". But I really don't like it when people greet me with a "What's up?", because that really stumps me. I guess it's probably "What's up?" back at them, but the Singaporean in my head goes: "what have I been up to? how am i recently? anything interesting? no? ok, so how do i answer then...". End result: either a very blank look and weak smile, or i mutter "not much", which i know is lame and not the correct reply (of course realizing this only after i've said it). Sad huh?

Ang Ku Kueh said...

ok lah...i tot it was quite frenly leh....it's a question that begs an answer, meaning if the answer not too good, ppl will want to know why right? if i say good morning all the time, I'm closing myself up. if i say how r u? I shall be listening to an answer and react accordingly...actually more warm this way.

Wallace said...

yeah its ok if you ask and want to know. But the thing is they don't mean it as a question........