Saturday, December 01, 2007

Whoahhhh

I just read my blog.... May... was that my last entry? Gosh I'm surprised blogger didn't terminate my account!

Anyway, here I am, in HK once again, having lots of free time because I'm not playing World of Warcraft. And I bought a laptop (will tell the story about it I guess)... and now after a hard week of working, I'm now in my service apartment with absolutely nothing to do. So.. I've decided to blog. Just to, you know, keep a record of my life.

But lets rewind back to May. When I last posted.

...

Hmm, to be honest I don't remember much...

...

OK, so after the trip to HK in May it was pretty much back to work. Due to various reasons in work, like (a) compensation, (b) learning opportunities, and (c) general dissatisfaction, I decided on a change in my career. Wasn't a big thing - was just a matter of speaking to my manager and saying "Hey boss, I would like a switch.". Because I'm popular and well liked, with tons of admirers and fans, I was granted the switch to a desk just a few meters away from where I used to sit. And I graduated from three screens to six. hehehe. The screens isn't so big a deal once you get used to it - but its always the first thing people notice. I just wish my wallet would grow as fast as my screens...

After the job switch I definitely felt more challenged. And I was definitely working much harder. I know I should be working harder - although a large part of me still wants to slack around... but I guess at my age, I should really be trying harder.

But I still couldn't give up on the WoW (World of Warcraft)...

So I was kept busy. And I could never find the time to update my blog.

Then opportunity came for me to work permanently in HK.

I had to consider. I have many friends in London. I've made my home in London. The headquarters is in London. But HK was appealing too. (a) food, (b) proximity to Singapore, (c) potential career opportunities, (d) MUCH lower tax rate, (e) change of lifestyle, (f) an excuse to finally give up the time sucker, WoW.

In the end, I took the opportunity and committed to HK. but alas... due to various work related political complications, that I myself struggle to understand, the big boss decided that I wont be coming here permanently, but temporarily - i.e., I get to travel every few weeks/months to HK. Which is not too bad also, actually, since everything is paid for. Serviced apartment, taxi rides, and a huge budget for food.

And so now I'm here. In HK sitting in the apartment, typing on a laptop I bought just 2 hrs after I landed. I knew I needed a personal laptop - so I just bought it. I didn't even do any research on the internet. I just walked into a store, browsed a little bit, took a fancy to the size/looks and specifications of this, and just bought it! The sales person probably thought I was the easiest customer he had. All the questions I asked were, "Does this come with warranty?", "Does it come with any accesories?" and "What about software?".

OK, now that I've brought you up to date... time for my musings...

1. Can't get used to people NOT holding doors open for you. In the UK, I always thought it was weird, although kinda nice, for complete strangers to hold the door open for you, even though you may be like 10 seconds to the door... Now I can't seem to get used to people not holding doors open! Like there was this incident I was heading back to my desk after going to the toilet and there was a fire door. The guy coming through the door DODGED through the closing door (someone else in front of him opened the door) and didn't even bother to lift a hand to hold the door open just a little bit for me! I was pissed. And then I thought... should I be pissed?

2. I hate friday nights when I'm alone. It sucks to walk through all the happening places looking for dinner and all you see are crowded restaurants, bars, and clubs with people hanging out with friends and having fun... I cannot imagine sitting in a crowded restaurant alone. I was forced to look for somewhere quiet... It was so sad. I never had a problem sitting in a restaurant alone. Now I realise it was because so far I haven't been to a crowded restaurant alone.

No comments: