Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Tuanging

For the sake of people who don't know what Tuanging means, it means idling, or avoiding work.

For the past three days, I was doing that. I actually signed up for this course "Advanced Equity Derivatives", hoping to learn something advanced about you know, equity derivatives. Unfortunately, it turned out to be actually "Really Basic Equity Derivatives". I already knew everything he had to teach.

On the first day, I thought, hell, its always good for someone to reinforce your learning you know... At the end of the day I thought, the instructor isn't even clear about what he's teaching - I may end up more confused.

On the second day, I thought, its 8 hours long of boring activity, but hell, its not work! I sit down and listen all day, make a couple of comments here and there, and yet get free lunch, still get paid, and I leave for home at 4! 4! can you imagine? I'd suffer through any boring lecture for that. By the end of the day though, I thought, I was just wasting my time. I could just have stayed at home and nobody would suspect I'm at home (the people at the office will assume I'm on course, the people on the course would assume i'm in the office).

On the third day, I thought, I'm a man of integrity. I should go for the course since I signed up for it, the instructor knows me now, and hell, its still better than working right? At the end of the day though, I'm glad I went for the course, because it ended at 3. 3! And we all headed to a nearby pub to "discuss some equity derivative related problems". Which of course included poker, somebody's wife, somebody else's girlfriend, snooker, over a seeming endless supply of beer.

Days like this come rarely. I do appreciate them though. =)

1 comment:

luen said...

wah so good ah... don't do work and still get paid. hai...