Friday, September 02, 2005

My First Days of Work

I don't know where to start. I think I'll continue from the previous post.

After that internet cafe session, I started seriously missing my darling. But then I didn't have a calling card, and calling her using my Pay-as-you-talk mobile phone is prohibitively expensive. Think in pounds a minute.

So I decided to SMS, which costs 24p, btw. That is about 75 Singapore cents. I sent about 4/5 SMS that day. Anyway, soon after, L called. =)

There isn't internet at my place. Probably take another month to set up. That's ok, because I still don't have a computer. And according to Human Resource, I can only buy the computer using my benefits package on 1st January. WTF.

On Wednesday, I still hadn't started work. So I walked around and bought more stuff. A laundry basket, a tumbler to place in the washroom, a towel, and other misc stuff. Still need to get lots of other stuff, like a wastepaper basket, and a nice firm bed. Yeah, the bed they provided is damn light and soft. Unbelievable I tell you... you'll never suspect a spring mattress could be so light, and so soft.

And xp, my housemate, told me of a nice deal. 99p to wash and iron a shirt. COOL!! Now I don't even need to iron my own shirts. Assuming i wear a shirt for 2 days, 5 pounds can last me 2 weeks! WAHAHAHA. I just dumped 6 shirts to that launderette.

I had to sleep early that day, because I had to report to work by 7.30 the following morning, and therefore had to wake at 5.45.

WOW.

I had never woken up so early in my life.

I'm exaggerating of course. Back in JC i used to wake up at that time. but thats out of point.

Anyway I reported to work, asked for my manager, M. He showed me to my desk, introduced me to a few people (most weren't there yet), and left me to my own devices. Well, basically he pointed to an empty desk and told me that the guy that sits there, B, is also pretty new, so he can show me around. Gee, thanks!

The rest of the day I spent familiarising myself with Lotus Notes, which is very similar to Outlook. But I hate it. I prefer my Thunderbird. Gimme my Thunderbird anytime!

Oh, and they use IE. WHY? Firefox is like a hundred times better.

Then after that I spent hours reading up on the various products they have developed. WOW. I have just an inkling as to how those products work.

Finally, as the hours passed, people started leaving. By 7.40pm, there were just 3 other people left in the team of 8. So I thought, since M and another person is apparently a "no-lifer" - according to a source, I might as well go too! So I went up to M and asked if I could go.

He said, "What? So early?"

.... Awkward Silence ...

Was he joking?

Finally, he said, "Ok, since you're new, I shall let you off."

*phew*

BTW, I should probably tell you, the offices are "super-open" concept. you know its like a school canteen with benches laid out? Yeah, each person is assigned a desk, arranged in rows. M sits right in the middle of the row - I guess so that he can manage/supervise better. haha.

I was initially told to take a seat at the desk at the corner. Which suited me just fine. But I was actually assigned a seat diagonally behind M. I didn't feel like moving, so I sat there for the whole of thursday. I moved eventually, for reasons that I shall say later... in the next paragraph... Because its so important.

At the previous desk I was using 2x17inch LCD screens. yeah baby!

But I moved because the new desk had 2x19 inch LCD screens! YEAAAAAH BABY!

On Friday, my second day of work, I was assigned a task. A "project" they said. Which I didn't really think was that challenging. But it was satisfying. Its basically creating an Excel spreadsheet and working MAGIC with it. hahaha.. I'm joking of course. It isn't magic. Its my superior programming. Yah right.

it was pretty fun. And I spent the whole day with it. I know, I'm probably wasting my time - but hey, there isn't anything else to do!

its a friday, so M left at 7-ish. The other no-lifer - because he was doing his Masters thesis in addition to his full-time work was of course still there. So eventually I left at 730. Yayy..

Except that I didn't finish the spreadsheet, so maybe.. maybe.. maybe I might get a slight chiding on Monday.

My housemates are all out, partying or something. Cause I came home late, I missed them. And I'm too lazy to call them, besides, its quite expensive.

do you know how expensive it is? my god, i forgot! i bought lunch on thursday. it was a jerk chicken pie, with mash potatoes and peas, and it costs SIX freekin pounds! and i bought it at a "market" somemore. Today I bought Kebab for Three freekin pounds. And I just had roast duck rice for FOUR freekin pounds.

Back to the story. My housemates weren't in, so I came out and had dinner, and walked a bit further down to an internet cafe so that I could update u with my life. See, so thoughtful? Even though I am so tired?

But then again, there isn't anything to do at home. the TV shows sucks. big time. Maybe we should get cable. Maybe I should get a computer.

Sigh. I miss my darling...

*Point to note: This entry was written in half an hour with minimal editing/ thought processing. I'm tired, my eyes ache, and I think I'm going home to rest. So don't complain about it being incoherent or has numerous spelling errors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
luen said...

alamak, you kena spammed...

Ang Ku Kueh said...

awww.....sounds like a not-so-bad but not-so-good day either...

and get ur word verification! from the blogger homepage...works works...i've installed it liao...