Saturday, September 10, 2005

Finally...

Finally its a weekend. Finally I get a chance to use the internet. Finally, I'm updating my blog.

Its not that there isn't internet in the office. But its so open, I am even cautious to check my gmail, let alone type a blog entry. yes, there's supposed to be a one hour lunch break. but everybody buys lunch back to their desk to eat and continue doing their work.

and in case you didn't know, i start work before most establishments are open, and get off work after most establishments are closed (except restaurants, pubs and discos.. usually they open till quite late). so in that case, internet cafes are out.

and, i still don't have a computer, NOR internet, at my flat.

Finally, though, its a weekend, and I have some spare time to catch up on my blog. haha..

Work has been pretty ok for me I suppose. I am enjoying what I am doing right now - working with Excel and VBA. haha, its great that I like programming.

But just yesterday, I was suddenly, with 1 minute notice, asked to attend a presentation. Ok, I grabbed my jacket and went up with the rest of my team. I thought it was like a monthly update on the progress of the department. It started off like so, until 3 minutes into the presentation, the global head announced that my manager will take on the role of Head of something something, and will be reporting to him directly. I was like "huh?"

He's so young lor. I think he's only like 37 at MOST. he looks more like 33. and now he's one of the management team. wah damn power.

I knew there were implications, but i didn't really understood them yet.

After the presentation, the team went back to our desks. M had to settle some other tasks, so he wasn't around. Then the most senior guy on the team (who i think joined for 6 months), O, told us what might happen.

1. Since M is taking on a new role, he'll be moving out.
2. Somebody else will take his place
3. He will be new.
4. Therefore, nobody will be taking care of us.

WTF? I just joined lor. Worse still, he said something like we may not be doing what we originally signed up for.

Well, I guess its cool that I just joined anyway. Cus then I'm fresh and new and untainted, and can adapt easily to any new situations. hahaahaha. I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Anyway, M finally had a chance to talk to us and assured us that hey, nothing has changed. don't worry, i'll still be here. Now, go back and do your stuff.

OK BOSS.. *

* Just joing, I don't actually say that. Everybody calls everybody else by their first name. So you don't really know who's senior who's junior. hahaha.. I love that.

In singapore, I know a particular government agency (or is it a stat board) where everybody calls the chairman, "Chairman".

Eg. "Chairman says this", or "Yeah, Chairman is a..." or "Hi Chairman!". Wow, sounds to me exactly like Mao Zedong was running the agency.

-----------

And I recall a certain conversation I had with a group of Malaysians. I knew them thru XP.

A malaysian girl was saying that she had to force her sis to study, and would beat her if she doesn't follow her instructions.

I said that beating wouldn't help right? It'll just cause more conflict and hatred and weaken the relationship between the two.

Then she said, "We're from a Chinese family. Its OK".

hurh? then XP said, "Yeah, If I have children, I'll beat them to relieve stress. I'll store up the stress until they do something wrong, and then I'll beat the hell out of them!"

.......

parents, or would-be-parents, please do not do this at home.

Children, please call a helpline if you're abused in this manner.



I just went to argos and bought a shoe rack. you know what happens when you have 2 girls -> there will be at least 20 pairs of shoes.

ok, i need to get back home and do some big business. otherwise the entire internet cafe would be cleared out by my poison gas. =)

2 comments:

Ang Ku Kueh said...

whoa! nowadays high flyers all very young....dun worry, when u become one, dun forget me hor!

luen said...

Glad to finally see your post :) You really need to get internet at home soon!