Monday, August 07, 2006

A day in the life of a typical corporate finance analyst.

Yesterday, yes SUNDAY, I spent 12 hours at work. From 1pm to 1am.

Its a long story, but basically there was some work that I had to do by Monday morning.

It started off pretty cool actually. Lazed about in the morning, had a nice chat with my gf over the webcam, then headed off to work in a casual outfit by cab. Boss came in about 15mins later with a banana-caramel frappucino in his hand. Soon after I went out to get myself a strawberries and cream frappucino.

The work was challenging. I had to simulate the performance of a quite complicated product. It involved correlation, Cholesky decomposition, geometric brownian motion, and a lot of skill with Excel. So challenging indeed I spent the next 6 hours glued to the computer. (Boss left at about 5pm).

Dinner time came, but we were nowhere near completion. I decided to order some chinese takeout - to be claimed from the company of course. The food wasn't nice at all, given its price, but it was fun eating in the largest meeting room with two of my closest colleagues.

As time wore on, it didn't seem anywhere as cool as before. I started feeling like the time I'm spending in the office won't be noticed.

Finally, we neared completion. Not as ideal as I would have liked but it was 12.30am Monday morning already and I really had to go home otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it back to office 7 hours later.

So I took a cab back home, and promptly fell asleep in bed, groggy from the whole day's work.

I guess this is the life XP is living everyday. I can do this once a month, but no more than that.

Anyway, the next morning I woke up at 7.15 for my usual chat with my gf.

Her first question was "What time did you get back last night?"

(sleepily) "... 1 a.m...."

"Go back to sleep, quick" she said.

mmm.. I said goodbye and crawled back to bed for another satisfying 45mins of sleep.

I have a wonderful gf, I know.

No comments: