Monday, February 02, 2009

How I got in to the office this morning

I landed at Heathrow at 4.45am. Cleared immigration at 5. Baggage collection was delayed because of the snow. Managed to get my bags by 5.30.

Walked out to catch the Heathrow Express and learned that it was suspended. Next train (which is the heathrow connect) which they couldn't guarantee would arrive at 6.20 or so. So I walked over to the underground station - and the next train wasn't for 7mins, and it only went up to hyde park corner... I also didn't want to waste my return ticket on the heathrow express, so I went back and managed to finally take a train to paddington - and I thought the chaos would be over... It was 7.20.

Then I found out most of the tube lines were suspended, except the bakerloo and the central line. I was advised to travel to Liverpool street via the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus and then the Central line. I managed to get to Oxford Circus and thats when the real nightmare began.

The central line was packed. There was even a crowd to get to the platform. When I managed to get to the platform I was like four "layers" of people away. When the train arrived a few minutes later, the carriage itself was packed. I was standing in between doors so there was no chance i can get aboard. After two more trains came and left, I decided to try my luck at the end of the platform where I naively thought would be less crowded. Another three trains came and left (all with intervals of like 10mins..). Finally, the station announced that the next train would take 50mins to arrive, so I gave up getting on the tube. It was really stressful standing at the edge of the platform for minutes before the train arrives... you were not sure u could get on and when the train left there's this gaping hole in front of you and twenty people crowded behind you. Imagine what if someone decides to stretch, nudges someone who loses his balance, and knocks into you....

At 8.40 or so I walked out of oxford circus and while i was so frustrated at the whole affair, a curious sight greeted me. Oxford Circus was bright white with snow. It was still snowing. There were no buses, no vehicles (well there were some very sparse traffic). People were taking pictures. There was probably a feet of snow. I took a few snaps and then tried to find my way to work. There was no buses and the few taxis that passed were full so I trekked, lugging my luggage through the snow. It got tiring and cold so I stopped at starbucks for a takeaway coffee and then continued my hike. It went on for about an hour. I was still thinking it would be cool if I managed to walk to the office with all my stuff... but the going got tougher and finally, at Aldwych, a taxi that was free came by and I hopped into it. Brought me straight to work for 7quid. I finally sat at my desk at 10...

So it took me 5hours to get from the airport to my office...

No comments: