Thursday, March 16, 2006

Disillusioned

Did I mention that as I grew older i got more cynical? Well, I think I just got older again.

There's been some big reorganisation where I work. My boss's boss got placed into some unknown position, the whole department got absorbed into another department, and the head of one of the groups got replaced. We've basically been taken over. From behind.

So the new boss came in today and gave a talk. He started by saying "my main message is one of reassurance. Nothing is going to change. We recognise this is one of the main businesses. We are going to maintain this business. this is my main point i want to make..." and went on for another 5 minutes.

Err.. hello? we're not stupid? we get the point you're trying to make BUT your point doesn't make sense. If nothing is going to change then why the reorganisation?

then another new boss chimed in and tried to reassure us again. he mentioned something about other restructuring was mainly done to fix broken businesses, this is done to further grow the profits.

somehow this sounds vaguely familiar to "its not your fault, its mine..." when a couple breaks up, or to "you're not ugly, you're unique".

And then after they finished speaking, of course there were a few thinly concealed hostile questions. and then the new boss started admitting that there will be seating changes etc, there will be movements, there will be displacements.

Er... didn't you just reassure us nothing is going to change? seems everybody in the room was diplomatic enough not to mention that.

Best of all, one of the managers, one of us who's getting a new boss, said to the new boss, "this may sound banal, but I think I am saying this for all of us, including the management team, that you have our support, 100%"

I left the room feeling disgusted. One, there's this backstabbing at the highest level, for own personal gain, yet veiled as though it is for the "alignment of the bank". Two, this manager has just performed a textbook example of this saying in Chinese "jian4 feng1 shi3 duo4" (change the sail according to the wind) that I don't really know how to say in English. Well, I've never seen it at this level.

My eyes are opening wider.

I'm lucky to be a small fry...

No comments: