Wednesday, April 01, 2009

G20 protests

I wore jeans and a scruffy looking Tshirt to the office today. Not hard for me to pull off the non-banker look, given I am pretty young and poor...

I was expecting a lot of people to be dressed down - but still I was surprised by what I saw as I left Liverpool St station. I could count the number of people wearing suits in one hand! Its surreal... usually at 7.30am in the morning its the other way around - its the people not wearing suits that are the minority.

And so it got a bit fun for me. I was checking out what some people were wearing. Some young ones looked like me - some even wore a hooded sweatshirt. Some were obviously trying to fit into their son's skinny jeans. And some people still can't ditch their striped collared shirts...

Thru the day I was watching the news about the protests. Was quite exciting. I actually wished for protesters to show up outside my building so I could experience what its like. Then at about 2pm, apparently a group of protesters smashed the windows of another building and a few of them scrambled in. They threw out some office equipment through the windows - but the police eventually evicted them from the building. Then it started getting a bit violent... then I changed my mind... I don't want them outside my building.

About an hour later an email from management came down, advising us that they received reports that the protesters will gather outside our building at 3.30-4, and advised us to leave if we don't have any urgent business. Ho ho ho... i don't need any prodding to leave early man... so I finished up my stuff and left the office :)

I was home by 4pm. The sun was still shining bright (it was actually 3pm because of the daylight saving) and so I took a leisurely jog to the park and then bathed in the sun for a bit. Heh heh you hardly find sun in London so you better squeeze all that you can get!

A very exciting day indeed for me :)

No comments: