Saturday, October 25, 2008

A boring day ahead...

The initial plan was for my to fly back to London friday 11.30pm, so I would bring my luggage to the office, and head straight to the airport immediately after work. I thought that would be a little bit too tiring, so I emailed the clerk.

"Is it possible for me to fly out sat instead of friday?"

A simple question - a bit too simple perhaps, for the clerk replied, a little too helpfully perhaps... "I've changed your flight to sat, same time as your friday flight, and also changed your cab pickup time"

I was a little embarrassed to ask her to change the flight again... so I left it at that. But now I've checked out from the hotel, with nothing to do... sitting at Starbucks leeching off their free wireless access.

Five weeks in HK is a pretty long time - but yet it passed by so quickly. Five weeks ago, I hadn't wanted to come... but now that my time in HK is over I feel a little nostalgic leaving.

Perhaps its the issue of getting attached to a place as people tend to do. After five weeks I realised I can adapt and live here in HK quite well. I had a haircut, I had bought toiletries, I know where the good food places are, I now even know the karaoke places! There is still so much to explore. I've gotten to know a few friends, nice people whom I'd like to know better - but can't because my time has come to an end. Its sad.

Perhaps its because I know such trips to HK will not come again, not at least for another 2 years. The recent financial turmoil has left my bank and the general industry in such a weak shape that business travel will be curtailed. Besides, they have already recruited two new guys in HK - so they probably wont need me anymore to cover.

Yesterday, after work, I went with a few of my colleagues to dinner, followed by karaoke. At 2am in the morning, when we left the karaoke place, I bided bye to them, "I don't know when we'll meet again..." It was sad to part, so we decided instead to go for supper... But finally it got too late and we parted. "Keep in touch", I said... for I don't really know how to say goodbye to friends that you'll probably never meet again.

===

I've also decided to quit wow (World of Warcraft). I picked up the game about 2 years back when a housemate gave me the game and we played it together. It was a good game, and thru it I've met friends (real-life friends, not in-game friends) in London and we hang out (or have steamboat/ themed dinner at-home parties) like 2 times a month.

But I've spent too much time on the game. I know that. Back then, I would rush home by 8.30pm because thats when a planned "raid" (25 players gathering to complete an in-game event) starts. Because time is usually very tight, I would cook dinner on Sunday for four days. I stopped reading, surfing the internet, lazing around the home... basically having less free time. But I enjoyed it.

I always had the intention to quit wow. But never found the impetus. But now is as good a time as any since a) a few of my friends who have played have also quit; b) my interest in wow has dropped quite a lot since recent changes in the game; c) these five weeks away from wow has taught me that I don't need it one bit.

===

The starbucks is getting quite crowded. People are standing around looking for a spot to sit! But I'm not leaving!!! No! what am I going to do if I get up? Where am I going to go?

===

I went to Prive, apparently a very popular, members only club last friday with a colleague. I stayed for only 2hrs tho... The colleague knew a friend who was a member, and his friend brought us and several of his friends in. All of them (all singaporeans btw) were there with only one purpose - to go on the prowl for girls. Was wierd. Never experienced joining a group of guys on the prowl before.

===

mm.. i need to go to the toilet. I think I finally will have to give up my starbucks seat to someone else. Will rant another time...

No comments: